Column is basically a vertical structure, which helps to transfer the load from top to bottom in a framed structure. Specifically columns transfer the compressive load from top floors, ceiling or beam to the foundation or to the beams. The cross section of the column is mostly rectangular , square or circular. Sometimes we modify these shape to meet the aesthetics of the building.
Generally we design the columns so as to resist the axial compression load or sometimes a combination of bi-axial/ uni-axial moment acting on it. It is very important to consider all these loads which is basically due to the frame action under gravity and lateral loads.
Types of Column
Columns are broadly classified on the basis of :
- Based on shape: Columns are classified on the basis of shapes such as, rectangular, circular, L shape, spiral columns.
- Based on the material used for construction: We use many different types of material for constructing columns such as reinforced concrete, steel, timber, brick, blocks, stone masonry.
- Type of loading: On the basis of loading one can classify columns as axially loaded columns, uni-axially loaded columns or bi-axially loaded columns.
- Depending on the value of slenderness ratio: short column and long column.
The design of reinforced concrete columns section is done according to the codal provisions given in IS: 456-2000. By directly using the charts available in SP 16, one can design the columns section efficiently. Several numerical examples is present in SP 16.
You can use our android application to design all the different reinforced column sections.
- RCC Column Design is a free app for designing reinforced concrete columns as per Indian Standards.
- RCC Design and detailing could be performed for uniaxial and biaxial bending conditions specified in IS456:2000
- Option to save the design projects in local storage.
- Detailed calculation steps presented for verification and validation.
Check this post to know why we need reinforcement in concrete.