We want to discuss in this article why we need to engineer nature. Everything was working so fine on the self-sustained model. You know that nature designed itself to sustain everything. Do you ever think about why we read about Environmental engineering?
In this post, we will understand the importance of Environmental Engineering. This is a part of Civil engineering. While in this part of civil engineering, environmental engineering focus mainly on water supply, sanitary, and air pollution engineering. Before discussing Environmental Engineering, we must have some knowledge about Environment.
So Environment is the sum total of all the living and non-living elements and the interaction between them. The living things are humans, plants, animals, birds, microorganisms, etc. And the non-living things are sunlight, water, land, air, etc. With an increase in scientific knowledge, humans can modify the environment to suit their immediate needs more than any other organism. And it affects the environment and pollutes it. And Environmental engineering is important to manage and control all the negative impacts of the environment.
Human action with the environment
With an increase in scientific knowledge, humans can modify the environment to suit their immediate needs more than any other organism. Since the very beginning of human civilization, a man has been playing with the environment.
- Deforestation: Cutting trees for agricultural lands, woods,
- Water Pollution: Pollute water by leaving wastewater from industry and houses without treatment.
- Self-cleansing capacity: Self-cleansing capacity of water gets reduced due to population growth and complex lifestyle
- Air Pollution: Harmful gases and particulate matter make the air pollute.
- Land Pollution: Destruction or decline of the earth’s surface as a result of human actions.
Need For Environmental Engineering
With the increase in technology and the increase in the human population, pollution gets increased. Environmental engineering is concerned with protecting people from pollution. It deals with water and air purification, wastewater management, waste disposal, recycling, etc.
Environment engineering has different domains, which are as follows:
- Water Supply Engineering: You might have noticed that people used to settle near the water bodies on the stone edge. For the obvious reason that they need water for survival. In today’s conditions, it is not possible. Hence we need some system which can transport water to people. To develop this system, we need water supply engineering. It deals with providing a safe and sustainable water supply to the population.
- Waste Water Engineering: Human produces waste, and again, you will agree that less human produces less waste. In today’s lifestyle, people are demanding more amount of water. Hence, producing more amount of wastewater. Hence we need to treat the water before leaving it in nature. To achieve the above goal we need wastewater engineering. It deals with collecting and treating sewage and industrial and agricultural wastewater.
- Solid Waste Management: Solid waste is generated due to food habits and lifestyle. We produce different types of solid waste in the day itself. Hence, this also needs engineering and the field involved in engineering is called solid waste management.
- Air pollution and control: You are familiar with this topic since your school days. As we are creating air pollution, we have to manage it. And, to do that we must need air pollution and control wings. It deals with the difficult task to identify, measure, and controlling pollutants in the air.
- Noise Pollution: It deals with the identification, measurement, and control of unwanted sound in the environment.
In this article, we have discussed the need for environmental engineering. You have also learned the different areas in which it can be divided. Environmental engineering provides methods and techniques for Wastewater management, solid waste management, raw water treatment and distribution, and air pollution control.
In this post, you have learned the following key points:
- Enhance the quality of life: Environmental Engineering improves and maintains nature’s ecosystem to enhance the quality of life.
- Environmental issue: It provides engineering solutions to environmental issues.
⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ 1000+ | 400,000 + Downloads (Cumulative)
At eigenplus, our goal is to teach civil engineering students about structural analysis and design starting from the fundamental principles. We do this with the help of interactive android applications and accompanying web articles and videos.
Our apps have helped more than 400 thousand students across the world to understand and learn the concepts of structural engineering. Check out our apps on the google play store.
This article was crafted by a group of experts at eigenplus to ensure it adheres to our strict quality standards. The individuals who contributed to this article are:
She is an assistant professor with masters in Environmental Engineering.